Tuesday, September 16, 2008

1-2-3 Twitter:

"USM initiates hiring freeze due to slow economy and expected budget cuts." This follow up, or summary lead by Claire struck me as the most concise lead without loosing the main thought to the story. The first word is the subject and the second is the verb. The active voice is incredibly powerful. The it also gave a very distinct, "why" at the end. Every word had meaning and none were wasted.

"Sean Shaeffer threw 4 INT's Saturday in Towson's second loss of the season to no. 4 Richmond." I particularly liked this one from Mike because there is a lot of information but it is still to the point. I also know that it is a successful summary lead because the active voice makes me want to read on. This is impressive because sports doesn't interest me. Once again the subject and the verb are placed together, making the start of the sentence very engaging.

"Tigers fall victim to the Spiders wrath when quarterback, Sean Schaefer, threw four interceptions." Out of all the summary leads
Christina R.'s, was by far my favorite. The language in it draws me in immediately and once again makes something that I have no interest in... well... interesting. She uses fun words while still being concise and using a strong and enticing active voice. The five "w's" are not only recognizable but jump out at the reader.

No comments: